In holistic nutrition and the psychology of eating we are guided by the philosophy of intuitive eating. Intuitive eating is the process of becoming more attuned to the body’s natural hunger signals in an effort to more effectively maintain a healthy mind and body. Intuitive eating is an ancient idea that promotes balance and is a process that is thought to create a positive relationship with food.
Intuitive eating goes by many names including mindful eating, the no-diet diet, wisdom eating or conscious eating but they all represent the same philosophy. The tools set forth by this discipline are intended to help you discover and reconnect with your body’s hunger and fullness cues. It’s intended to develop self-trust and build self confidence regarding the food around you.
It is all about reconnecting…
In today’s fast-paced society, so many of us do not take the time to relish every moment of a meal but rather eat on the go, while working or watching Netflix or even while driving. Short lunch breaks, technology distractions and interruptions, full schedules are all circumstances that do not help to be connected to what we eat and can lead to overeating, poor food choices and even binge eating. It would be limited to say that our fast-paced society is the only responsible for this disconnection, so many other factors can lead to checking out and not listening to the body’s messages, such as stress, painful emotions, traumatic experiences, toxic relationships and more. Reconnecting is the first step to overcoming eating challenges and transforming our relationship to food.
How will intuitive eating help you?
- Intuitive eating can help you reconnect with your body’s messages, not only your hunger or fullness cues but also your deeper needs and emotional triggers.
- Intuitive eating can help you learn what to eat and what not to eat; and recognize the difference.
- Intuitive eating can help you learn and determine what amount of food is right for you and nourishes your mind, body and soul.
- Intuitive eating can help you get past the negative stigmas placed on certain foods and move past ‘fearing’ food.
- Intuitive eating can help you learn to enjoy food and feel safe when you eat.
- Intuitive eating can help you transform your relationship to food.
“For both excessive and insufficient exercise destroy one’s strength, and both eating and drinking too much or too little destroys health, whereas the right quantity produces, increases or preserves it.” — Aristotle
My son, my best teacher…
As you might know, I suffered from both emotional eating and anorexia and it is precisely intuitive/mindful eating that saved me and helped me REconnect with my body’s cues. 15 years of total disconnect. My wake-up call happened one day when my son Alexandre asked me not to eat dinner because he was not hungry. He added that he was not enjoying my food when he was not hungry. I thought “this kid is so connected to his hunger and fullness cues, there must be a way for me to feel aligned again”. My own son, my best teacher! I was ready to start the second part of my life and listen to what I really needed, not only food wise but my deeper needs. My experience and my healing lead me to create the Happy Spoon program to help as many people as I can to reconnect and transform their relationship to food and live their lives to the fullest.
I invite you to check my HAPPY SPOON 30-day online program! This program will give you step-by-step tools in the form of audios and a workbook:
- to master mindful/intuitive eating
- to overcome emotional eating, binge eating, overeating or yo-yo dieting,
- to reach a happy weight and never diet again,
- to take your power back over food and your life!